In the case of breast augmentation surgery, small incisions are made in the armpits and implants are then inserted beneath the pectoral muscles. As the implants settle, they drop to a slightly lower position, creating a natural-looking fullness towards the bottom of the breasts.
For a mastopexy (breast lift) or breast reduction, the anchor or inverted-T technique is used, with incisions being made around the edge of the areola and along the crease underneath the breast to keep visible scarring to a minimum.
The different types of breast surgery
There are several types of cosmetic breast surgery, namely:
- Augmentation mammoplasty: Generally performed on smaller breasts to add volume, redefine breast shape or to restore fullness lost after breastfeeding.
- Reduction mammoplasty: Used to reduce overly large breasts that cause discomfort or pain or to modify breast shape.
- Breast lift: Used to correct ptosis or sagging of the breasts due to menopause or weight loss.
There are other cosmetic procedures commonly associated with the mammoplasty that may be considered to enhance the bust. These include:
- Breast lipofilling: Used to add or restore volume to the breasts with almost no visible scarring.
- Mammopexy: Used to reposition the nipples or to correct invaginated (inverted) nipples.